The Microsoft Surface Diagnostic Toolkit is a diagnostic tool that performs tests against the Surface hardware and software pieces significant to hardware operation to report on any specific problems that it finds. It works for Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, Surface 3 LTE, Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro.
Also included within the toolkit is the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser. It is an utility that can be used to create an USB boot drive. An USB stick of at least 4 GB is required since OS boot files are copied along with the data wiping application.
The Surface device must be configured to boot from USB in the firmware. To do this:
- Turn off the Surface device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Power button to power the device.
- Release the Volume Up button.
Once booted to the Microsoft Surface Data Eraser USB drive, the utility provides 3 options:
- S = initiate the Data Erase process
- D = this option allows you to run diskpart.exe to manage the partitions on the device
- X = cancel the operation and shut down the device
The Microsoft Surface Data Eraser Utility works for the Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, Surface 3 LTE, and Surface Pro 2.